Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Adventure #2 - Golden Gardens

     Today was a beautiful, bright, sunny day here in Seattle, so the kids and I needed an outdoor adventure.  I looked for another beach and found the beautiful, Golden Gardens in Ballard!  Wowie!  What an amazingly beautiful place and so close to the city, just 5 miles away from where we live.

 
     I thought ahead and brought a blanket, snacks and water, but the kiddos forgot their bag with bowls and spoons to dig in the sand with.  However, when we got here, there were quite a few women here with their kids, playing in the sand.  So my oldest daughter, (M) and I took off our shoes and laid down on the blanket while my two younger kids (J & E) headed right for the flock of kids, digging and making friends for the day!

This was what I saw from my spot laying down...you notice my daughter's book in the right corner!

     Many people were out today, a group of teenaged boys playing soccer and many families of all shapes and sizes all down the beach.  The sun was warm, the air was cool and we had a great view of the Puget Sound and the Cascades Mountains.

     After laying in the warm sun for about 30 minutes, I told my daughter I thought this must be close to heaven...she said that I am a dork.  Regardless, this place is breathtaking and for this busy, homeschooling, work at home, mom and wife, who just made the biggest change of her life, it felt restful and peaceful and perfect.
     The girls did decide to test the water, but although the sun was warm, it was only 55 degrees outside, so the water was VERY cold.  They certainly enjoyed trying it though!

The seals were swimming around that black dot you can see out in the water.
     Here you can, take a coastline stroll, hike a forest trail, sunbathe, sail a boat, fish off the pier, watch the sunset, have a beach fire, play in the sand, the water or on a playground, or simply rest and enjoy God's amazing creations.  You can pack a lunch, there are bathrooms, bbqs and decent parking.  If you are looking for something inexpensive to do with or without kids, this is a great place!  We could even hear seals barking out in the water!  Another great adventure without spending any money!

No comments:

Post a Comment